• 240 Kilometers south of Amman using Desert highway and could be reached through Kin’s Highway (Visiting Madaba, Nebo, Kerak, and Shobak en route).
• Was built more than 2000 years ago by the Arabic Nomads NABATEANS, all carved in mountains.
• Considered by the UNISCO as one of the international archeological heritage.
• Petra was built as a fortress city that had a domain on the trade routes crossing the area including the famous SILK ROAD.
• The archeological city of Petra is reachable only by one narrow entrance through high natural passage crack in rocky mountain, this passage is called “ AL SIQ” in Arabic.
• An attached village called Wadi Moussa (Moses Valley), contains hotels and is the place to start the journey from.
• 10 kilometers away from Petra, visitors can find the excavations of Stone Age villages: BEIDA & BASTA, which are 8000 years old.
Visit of Petra Starts at the entrance of the archeological city, where visitors can hire a local guide for a visit of 03 Hrs and to buy a ticket for horse ride.
Entering the gate visitor will proceed on feet till the entrance of the passage crack in the mountain (Al Siq), which is one Kilometer and 200 Meters long, winding fissure between overhanging cliffs of 100 Meters high (300 Feet). Near the end of the passage, visitor will make one last turn and suddenly view the glorious brightness of Petra’s most impressive monument “Al Khaznah” (THE TREASURY), a faced which has been carved in rocky mountain and has a dimensions of 45X30 Meters (140X90 Feet). After viewing this marvelous structure, continue behind it through hundreds of Petra’ curves and built structures: “ Temples, Royal Tombs, a carved roman Theater which seats 3000, Large & Small Houses, burial chambers, banquet halls, water channels, Markets, arched gates and paved streets”.
When spending more time in Petra, visitors can climb mountains to make a visits to two other special attractions: “The High Place of Sacrifices & the monastery “. The monastery is similar in design to the Treasury but Larger in Dimensions “45X50 Meters 140X 160 feet” and less refined in its details than the Treasury.
These two Places: The high place & Monastery, Can be visited same day, but preferably when staying for one or two nights and having two Visits to the archeological city of Petra, as reaching them will be by climbing a very long stairways up to the mountains with a little difficult, but very pleasant, journey.